Zagreb-Karlovac Motorway to Get Third Lane?

Total Croatia News

Transport infrastructure development plan has analyzed solutions how to improve traffic flow on the major motorway in Croatia.

The motorway from Zagreb to Karlovac could soon get a third lane in both directions. The first step has been made with the preparation of the plan for development of transport infrastructure which will be publicly presented at a conference next week, reports on December 18, 2016.

The development plan project is worth 1.88 million kuna and has been co-financed by the European Union with 85 percent, with funds coming from the Regional Development Fund and the Operational Programme Transportation 2007 to 2013. The remaining 15 percent of the cost of the project were covered by the state-owned Rijeka-Zagreb Motorway company and its partners: Zagreb County, towns of Jastrebarsko and Karlovac, and municipalities of Klinča Sela and Stupnik.

The aim of the project was to develop a master plan for development of transport infrastructure on the Zagreb-Karlovac motorway as a basis for sustainable development, and to prepare potential projects for the possibility of financing from the European structural and investment funds in the period 2014 to 2020.

The Rijeka-Zagreb Motorway company, which manages the Zagreb-Karlovac section, says that the plan has identified goals, measures and activities, as well as the projects which need to be implemented on the section of motorway between Zagreb and Karlovac in order to improve the level of service, the traffic flow and road safety.

One of those measures is the construction of the third lane, which would turn the section from four-lane into six-lane motorway. Among other measures is, for example, construction and installation of additional noise protection barriers.

As for the third lane, the feasibility study for the project, which will be prepared next year, will give us an answer to the question whether that investment should be undertaken. If the feasibility study were to show that the third lane was required, the project would probably try to get financing from EU funds, preferably in maximum possible amount of 85 percent.

The section of the motorway between Zagreb and Karlovac is 38 kilometres long and is the most congested in Croatia. The average daily traffic is over 30,000 vehicles, while in the summer months that number more than doubles.


Subscribe to our newsletter

the fields marked with * are required
Email: *
First name:
Last name:
Gender: Male Female
Please don't insert text in the box below!

Leave a Comment