Tkon Ferry Port and Kali Fishing Port Largest Zadar County Projects

Lauren Simmonds

As Morski writes on the 13th of July, 2019, the County Port Authority of Zadar is implementing its largest projects – the construction of a ferry port in Tkon, the total value of which is over 40 million kuna, and the construction of a fishing port in Kali.

Just the third phase of ongoing construction alone is worth 30 million kuna, which is the first port infrastructure project in the Republic of Croatia that is funded from European funds through the Operational Program of Competitiveness and Cohesion.

Works at the ferry port of Tkon were visited by County Prefect Božidar Longin, accompanied by his associates and the mayors of Tkon and the island of Pašman, Goran Mušćet and Krešimir Ćosić.

Works began back in March this year, and the current belief is that it will take 29 months to complete everything. Tkon’s new ferry port should, after its completion, mark a significant step forward in the quality of transport for all residents and guests of the island of Pašman, according to Božidar Longin.

With the already secured funds, an embarkation and disembarkation area will be constructed, as will a boarding area, as will a dock to enable people to get on and off the vessels, and much more content can be expected.

”This is one of the key development projects for the entire island of Pašman. With this new ferry port, we’ll be able to considerably increase the standard of services which will surely be an additional contribution to the development of tourism. With good cooperation with Zadar County and the ministries of the Government of the Republic of Croatia, we’ll continue this development cycle and create new preconditions for the betterment of our municipality,” said Tkon’s mayor, Goran Mušćet.

County Prefect Longin was accompanied by Marko Kolega and Krešimir Laštro, who also came to look at the works on the construction of a fishing port at Vela Lamjana bay in Kali.

”Zadar County is proudly bearing the name of the most profitable Croatian county because we’re definitely the leaders of the Adriatic in both catching and raising fish. But, we always have to look towards the future, and with the aim of further improving the conditions for our fishermen, we started building this fishing infrastructure,” said Longin.

With the help of the Ministry of Agriculture’s fisheries administration, fishing ports in Vela Lamjana and Gaženica will be constructed and modernised. Works at the fishing port in Kali have already begun, and works in Gaženica should start soon. Both projects are implemented by the Port Authority of Zadar.

”Both ports will, after the construction work, provide much better service to fishermen than they do in the current situation. In this way, we’re supporting the further development of fisheries, which have a long tradition in Zadar County, and are especially important to the islanders,” emphasised Robert Škifić.

The total contract value of construction works at Lamjana port stands at 29.6 million kuna with VAT, and the works there are expected to last for eighteen months. Works at the fishing port of Gaženica should start at the end of summer and last for about a year in total. The estimated value of those works, with VAT, is 24 million kuna. 100% of the non-refundable grants have now been received, of which 75% are EU funds, and the remaining 25% has been secured from national funds.

”In parallel with these two capital projects, a new fishing and ferry port in Biograd na Moru is also being planned. In this way, over the next couple of years, we should have a complete infrastructure solution for our fisheries sector,” concluded Longin.

To briefly recall, the works on the ferry port in Tkon and the fishing port in Kali officially began in March this year, when the ribbon was ceremonially was cut by Prime Minister Andrej Plenković.

Follow our dedicated lifestyle page for much more.


Subscribe to our newsletter

the fields marked with * are required
Email: *
First name:
Last name:
Gender: Male Female
Please don't insert text in the box below!

Leave a Comment