Croatian Railways to Implement Large New Projects

Katarina Anđelković

croatian railways

October 21, 2023 – The Croatian Railways company (HŽ Infrastruktura) has signed two contracts with the European Executive Agency for Climate, Infrastructure and the Environment (CINEA), worth almost 295 million euros.

As Poslovni writes, the contracts will provide grants to finance works on part of the project to improve and build a double-track railway on sections of the railway along the Dugo Selo – Novska stretch and for the financing of the preliminary project for the new two-track railway on the section Skradnik – Krasica – Tijani.

As reported on Friday by the Croatian Railways, the grants were provided by the Connecting Europe Facility (CEF).

The contract for the first project refers to the financing of works on the construction and electric power railway infrastructure subsystem on the Ivanić-Grad – Popovača and Popovača – Kutina sections. The total estimated value of eligible costs amounts to 289 million euros, of which 85 percent of the funds, or 246 million euros, are provided by the CEF. The remaining 15 percent of the amount is financed from the state budget.

These works on the sections Ivanić-Grad – Popovača and Popovača – Kutina are part of the project “Improvement, renovation, construction of the second track and construction of a new two-track railway on sections of the railway on the section Dugo Selo – Novska”, the total value of which is estimated at 670 million euros.

As they point out in the press release, the project is divided into four sections: Dugo Selo – Ivanić-Grad, Ivanić-Grad – Popovača, Popovača – Kutina and Kutina – Novska, and as part of the reconstruction of the existing track and the construction of the second track, the power and traffic control systems will also be modernized, as well as the signaling and safety railway subsystems.

The second contract is the total value of the acceptable costs for the preparation of the conceptual project with the obtaining of location permits for the new two-track railway on the Skradnik – Krasica – Tijani section of 5.8 million euros, of which 85 percent or 4.9 million euros is financed from the CEF, and the remaining 15 percent from the state budget.

The new section of the two-track electrified railway with a length of 72 kilometers will be designed for a speed of up to 160 km/h. The project also includes the construction of connecting tracks with the existing railway network and the construction of all new railway facilities: tunnels, viaducts, bridges, stations, noise and wind protection walls, and underpasses and overpasses for the existing road network, concludes Croatian Railways.


Subscribe to our newsletter

the fields marked with * are required
Email: *
First name:
Last name:
Gender: Male Female
Please don't insert text in the box below!

Leave a Comment