“We certainly didn’t do anything wrong,” Vujčić told RTL television in a comment on the article by the Index news website saying that 40 HNB staff had been involved in insider trading in securities.
Vujčić urged HANFA to look into the allegations, stressing that the HNB wanted the matter clarified as soon as possible. He said that the regulator had access to all the data, both at the HNB and the Central Depositary Agency.
He said it was not the HNB staff that had caused damage to the central bank but the media fuss that was made without any evidence.
Vujčić said that he always adhered to the law in his work. In 2001, when he joined the HNB leadership, he had sold his shares in two banks to avoid a potential conflict of interest, he added.
He said that the HNB had adopted a code of ethics in 2016, which requires all staff to report to their superiors if they trade in banks’ securities.
“If anyone is found to have traded in insider information from the HNB, they will immediately lose their job and that will not be the end of problems for that person. At this point we do not have any indications that something like that happened,” the central bank governor said.
Vujčić said he was not thinking of resigning. He noted that in his opinion this whole affair was aimed at undermining the process of adopting the euro, adding that this attempt would not succeed.
“These unsubstantiated accusations in the public sphere and partly in the political sphere are certainly undermining the credibility of the institution,” he said.
Vujčić said he would not be attending the presentation of the Euro Act on Monday. Asked how was it that he was not invited, he said the question should be addressed to the prime minister.
For more, check out our dedicated politics section.