The oldest active lighthouse in the Adriatic, also the northernmost Croatian lighthouse located on the westernmost cape of Croatia – the Savudrija-Salvore lighthouse.
It began to operate in 1818 and is 36 metres tall. Its light can be seen from the Opicina hill above Trieste and served to provide more safety for maritime traffic to Trieste.
It was the first lighthouse in the world to use natural gas to fuel the light, gained through distillation of coal dug up in Istria.
When built, the lighthouse was such an attraction that visitors sometimes wanted to forcibly climb to the top. Lighthouse keepers were issued weapons and allowed to fire if necessary.