We all know that the Dubrovnik Republic managed to secure itself long-lasting freedom thanks to the City walls and the remarkable skills of its ambassadors, known as “poklisars”. But not only did the City walls protect this small aristocratic Republic, but the walls and fortress played a major role in the defense of the borders. On the western border the well-known walls of Ston protected the border spreading over more than 5 km, making them the second largest defensive walls in the world. Located 60 km from the Old Town, Ston was of immense importance for the Dubrovnik Republic because of its strongpoint in the defense of the territory, but also because of the salt pans situated there since the Roman times. There are two parts of the Ston walls: the 900 meter long town wall and the 5 km Great Wall outside the town.
The eastern border was, however, protected with one major fort that came under Dubrovnik’s rule in 1420 following the acquisition of the Konavle Valley. Upon taking the fort, the Council of Dubrovnik decided to immediately start with the rebuilding of the certain parts of the tower while strengthening the key points in the defense strategy. Since the fort was additionally strengthened, it did not suffer from the catastrophic consequences of the Great Earthquake that hit Dubrovnik in 1667. and left it in ruins.
The Sokol Tower served as a military fort where around fifteen people would live, including the one chosen aristocrat who would spend several months here as his duty to protect the Republic. In case of conflict or any other emergency, the fortress also served as a storage of wine and grain.
The restoration of the tower took more than 5 years and it was financed and led by the Society of Friends of Dubrovnik Antiques. The Society found the tower in a very bad condition since the locals, as it was customary in the region, used the stones of the fort in order to build their homes and smaller walls.
The ruins of the deconstructed fortress have been placed under state protection and opened their doors again after 350 years in 2013. Visitors can now visit the archeological collection.
Sokol Tower is located in the Konavle region, 25 km from the Old Town of Dubrovnik.
April 1 – May 31: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
June 1 – October 31: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
December 1 – March 31: 12 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Adults: 50 Kn
Groups: 35 Kn
Children (aged between 5 and 18) : 35 Kn