Built in transitional Gothic-Renaissance style, this 14th-century monastery houses a rich collection of jewelry, 15th and 16th century paintings by Lovro Dobričević, Nikola Božidarević, Titian, as well as the historical artifacts. Its strategic position near the Dubrovnik harbor reflected in the understated design of the building that was incorporated into the city walls. An important center of philosophy and theology from its founding in 1390, the monastery complex acquired its final shape in the 15th century when the vestry, the capital hall and gothic cloister, constructed after the designs of the Florentine architect Maso di Bartolomeo, were added. It however underwent restoration after the famous Great Earthquake hit Dubrovnik in 1667. Among the most notable pieces in the single-naved church are the large golden 14th-century Crucifix work by Paolo Veneziano and a 20th-century past painting by Croatian artist Vlaho Bukovac above the side altar.
There is an interesting story about the monastery’s grand stairway and its uneven mortaring of the balustrade’s columns that reveals the hidden agenda behind it. In order to deter men who used to stand next to the staircase while trying to catch a glimpse of women’s ankles, monastery’s monks made this tricky modification in this important and largest gothic buildings on the eastern Adriatic coast.
Ul. Svetog Dominika 4, 20000 Dubrovnik
Phone: +385 20 322 200
Working hours in summer (1 May – 31 October):
9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Working hours in winter:
9 a.m. – 5 p.m.