The Franciscan Church and Monastery is situated at the very beginning of Stradun main street along which the lateral side of the monastery runs. The large complex consisting of 14th-century cloister, a historic pharmacy and a small museum housing a collection of relics and liturgical objects, and the impressive library built in the 17th century where one can find over 20,000 books among them 137 incunables (books printed before the year 1501 in Europe).
Before you enter the small square garden with a fountain surrounded orange and palm trees, don’t forget to stop and admire the pietà over the door, work by the local masters Petar and Leonard Andrijić from 1498. Each capital over the slim dual columns in the cloister of this late – Romanesque building features different figures: from animal and floral motifs to portraits of human heads.
The pharmacy dates from 1317 and is the third oldest, still functioning pharmacy in the world. The pharmacy was used by the monks as well as by the citizens of Dubrovnik Republic.
Placa 2, 20000 Dubrovnik
Phone: +385 20 321 410
Working hours in summer (last Sunday /week in March – lst Sunday/week in October): 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Working hours in winter: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.