This Saturday sees the start of 15th Lagvić Liga running series, an event that takes runners from the foothills of Zagreb’s beloved mountain goddess Sljeme up to its shrine located by the TV tower at the summit of the iconic hill.
The running plague has spread all over Croatia, and swarms of lycra clad sneaker worshippers have become a common sight in most cities, Zagreb, now hosting everything from a night marathon to a canine race, definitely being the torchbearer of the movement.
This event being staged for the 16th year running is now one of the many running events in wintertime Zagreb and hails back to the grassroots days of the Croatian running movement. It is a great place to immerse yourself in the local running community as it is a custom to follow the race uphill with a slow trot down the hill while sharing the latest running gossip and performance conspiracies.
Rain, sunshine or snow, start time is 10 o’clock sharp, Saturday or Sunday, 50 metres up the road from the somewhat forgotten gastro-conservative restaurant Šestinski Lagvić. There are two options, a 9.2K road or 5.5K trail run, both gifting runners a boast-worthy elevation gain of 691 metres.
Those competitive enough to dream of medals should take note that the best 7 out of a possible 15 rounds are scored, an extra 5 points being given for every extra round completed. The actual scoring system is a somewhat complex age handicap system that awards senior runners for every year of survival past the dreaded 35th birthday. Sometime next year the top 10 female and male runners will receive awards that include a gift card from a local running store.
· R1 21.10.2017. Saturday
· R2. 28.10.2017. Saturday
· R3 04.11.2017. Saturday
· R4. 11.11.2017. Saturday
· R5 19.11.2017. Sunday
· R6 26.11.2017. Sunday
· R7 03.12.2017. Sunday
· R8 10.12.2017. Sunday
· R9 17.12.2017. Sunday
· R10 24.12.2017. Sunday
· R11 31.12.2017. Sunday
· R12 07.01.2018. Sunday
· R13 14.01.2018. Sunday
· R14 21.01.2018. Sunday
· R15 28.01.2018. Sunday
- A special 1000 Kuna prime is on offer for setting the course record for either course; road 39:44 (men), 45:46 (women), trail 33:46 (M), 40:47 (W)
- For canine lovers there is a dog-human team competition.
- The first 5 rounds also offer an optional bonus adventure trail option named Downhill-Series LAGVITREK 2017. This competition requires some orienteering skills, or just a good GPS device as the route is posted on the race website well in advance. Upon completing the trail or road race one has to get lost finding checkpoints going downhill and find the way to the finish line at one of the restaurants at the foothills of Sljeme.
- The 30 kuna registration fee covers not only the transport of your favourite running backpack with a change of dry clothes to the finish line, but also a snack which one can wash down with some mulled wine and tea to feed your soul that you lost en route to the summit.
How to find the start line:
· Hop into your car, hovercraft or perhaps mount your moped, bicycle and find your way from downtown Zagreb via Mihaljevac /Tuškanac /Britanac or drive over the hill from Zagorje. If you are old school and GPS-less, you will be looking for Šestine, and if you wish to explore the area a bit just enter the GPS coordinates for the infamous Todorić residence, Kulmerovi Dvori, and take a peek into the siege of the fallen Agrokor empire located a mere 300 metres from the start.
· Carpooling is highly recommended as parking around Lagvić is scarce courtesy of Croatian outdoor enthusiasts that find it humiliating to walk any amount of distance to the trailhead and are commonly obsessed with finding illegal parking spots, creating chaos around the starting area. If one shows up early enough the parking lot by the Šestine cemetery is a good spot and no more than a 10 minute stroll to the start line.
· Public transport will also take you to the spot by the cemetery, the 102 bus that departs from Britanac or Mihaljevac.
For further info shoot at [email protected]
Photos Courtesy of A.K. Sljeme