ZAGREB, February 5, 2020 – Health Minister Vili Beroš said on Tuesday that Croatia would not close its borders over the novel coronavirus as long as there was no such agreement at the European level.
“We are not going to ban people from entering Croatia, but we are going to ask them who they are, where they come from and whether they have any symptoms of the disease,” Beroš told a news conference, adding that the Croatian authorities would act in accordance with professional standards for the prevention of an outbreak of this communicable disease.
He also noted that currently there were 27 cases of the coronavirus in Europe, and added that the death rate was about three percent. “This is an even lower rate than in flu cases,” he said and called for caution because this was a new type of virus.
Later on Tuesday, it was reported that two young men, who had recently been to Shanghai and had been hospitalised in the eastern town of Vinkovci as one of them had a high body temperature and the other respiratory problems, had not contracted the coronavirus. All the tests were negative in their case.
DAILY UPDATES: Total Croatia News provides LIVE daily updates on the coronavirus epidemic here.
More coronavirus news can be found in the Lifestyle section.