In an interview with N1, Slaviša Babić, head of the Hrvatske Ceste (HC) Traffic Department, says that around 1,500 vehicles had already crossed the bridge, and 500 in one hour before 9 am. According to Babić, some passengers are likely just curious and want to see the bridge. It’s not too much traffic, explaining that over 15,000 vehicles drive towards Neum on the D8 state road in the summer.
“I expect about 10,000 vehicles today, but the busy weekend is ahead of us, maybe 12 to 15,000 vehicles for the weekend,” Babić says.
They also sent a warning to drivers and pedestrians.
“Everything is new. People are just getting used to it, especially drivers. Some, unfortunately, also use the shoulder lane to move. I appeal to them not to use it. Some stop to take photos, and it’s extremely dangerous. People use the bridge to walk. I have to say that the bridge is intended exclusively for motor vehicles, not pedestrians or cyclists,” says Babić.
He also adds that part of the traffic for trucks is currently prohibited. However, all freight vehicles over 7.5 t that have deliveries to Pelješac and Korčula can travel on the bridge and access roads, but those that are only in transit cannot. Babić appealed to drivers to respect the speed limit.
Decreased traffic on the border with Bosnia and Herzegovina near Neum
The head of the Metković border police station, Jurica Volarević, told N1 that the traffic through the Klek border crossing is significantly declining. “Traffic has dropped by 50 percent since the opening of the bridge. So far, about 1,200 passengers and 600 vehicles have crossed the border,” says Volarević.
“Everyone knows that the bridge is open, there are signs directing traffic to the bridge, we have no questions,” he says. As for trucks, he says they don’t expect crowds at the border crossing. The police work as before, the traffic will undoubtedly decrease, and the border crossing will be cleared, says Volarević.
Božinović: There were up to 5,000 people at the opening of the Pelješac Bridge. Everything went without problems.
Minister of the Interior Davor Božinović said that between four and five thousand people attended the opening ceremony of the Pelješac Bridge, and not a single security problem was reported.
“About 300 police officers from all branches of the police were engaged at the opening. According to the police headquarters, between 4 and 5 thousand people attended the ceremony, and not a single security problem was reported,” reported Božinović on Twitter. He praised the police and thanked the citizens.
The Pelješac Bridge, one of the largest projects in the EU and the largest in Croatia financed by the European Union, was officially opened on Tuesday evening, and regular traffic in both directions across the bridge that connects southern Croatia with the rest of the country started at midnight.
For more, check out our lifestyle section.