Man Dies Trying to Swallow Bag of Marijuana Near Poljud

Total Croatia News

A young man from Split died of asphyxiation after swallowing a bag of marijuana

Split-Dalmatia County Police Administration has reported that a 24-year-old man has died near Poljud Stadium, Index reports on July 17

Police officers approached a young man around 8:30 p.m. last night at Ulica 8. Mediteranskih igara near Poljud Stadium. He was suspected of drug possession and when the police approached him to ask for his ID, he started to run. The police officers caught up with him and he was handcuffed.

On the way to the police station, the man got sick, and one of the policemen tried to help him, while the other called for medical assistance. When they got to the hospital, the 24-year-old passed away. The state attorney’s office ordered an autopsy and the case will be investigated.

As Index writes, the young man swallowed a plastic bag filled with marijuana or hash while running away from the police. The bag got stuck in his windpipe, and could not be removed until the hospital was reached.

Index reports that it was probably a small amount of marijuana, and it is not known whether the young man was trying to get inside Ultra Europe festival or not. The man who died was from Split, and he had previously had one drug-related offence.

Head of Split-Dalmatia County ER Mate Kasalo said that there were 18 interventions last night, mostly foreigners, nine of whom have been transported to KBC Split. Some of them were admitted because of alcohol and drugs, and others because of fractures and sprains.

The festival is moving to Zlatni Rat at Bol on the Island of Brač on Monday, then to Hotel Amphora on Hvar on Tuesday, finishing on Fort George in Vis on Wednesday


Subscribe to our newsletter

the fields marked with * are required
Email: *
First name:
Last name:
Gender: Male Female
Please don't insert text in the box below!

Leave a Comment