ZAGREB, Dec 29, 2020 – Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic said on Tuesday that in agreement with the Finance Ministry, HRK 20 million would be sent to help Sisak and Petrinja and that a first installment could be expected tomorrow already, following a destructive earthquake measuring 6.3 on the Richter scale that struck Sisak-Moslavina County at 12.20 pm Tuesday.
The prime minister made the statement after a meeting of an inter-agency task force monitoring the implementation of financial contributions from the EU solidarity fund for the reconstruction of Zagreb, Krapina-Zagorje and Zagreb counties following the March earthquake.
In the meantime, an earthquake measuring 6.3 on the Richter scale struck Petrinja at 12.20 pm and Prime Minister Plenkovic confirmed that he had spoken to Petrinja Mayor Darinko Dumbovic and that he was heading for Petrinja immediately and that all available services had been deployed there.
Govt to prepare special decision related to Sisak-Moslavina County quake
Plenkovic underscored that the Construction Ministry would prepare a special decision regarding the earthquake that struck Sisak-Moslavina County.
“In agreement with the Finance Ministry we will intervene with HRK 20 million so that the county and cities can have funds available for emergency intervention measures. That is similar to the decision of HRK 100 million that we made available in Zagreb to repair roofs, gable walls and anything to prevent rain leaking during the winter. We will react immediately in that regard,” said Plenkovic.
He underscored that the first installment could be expected tomorrow already.
The funds will come from reserves and re-allocation so that they can be released to the county tomorrow already. Additional funds will be found through ‘combined’ – national and solidarity funds.
“What we are doing now is an intervention measure to provide immediate help,” said Plenkovic.
The prime minister underscored that he had spoken with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen who said that the Commission was willing to help with regard to the latest quake.
It is necessary to evaluate the damage first. Experts from the Faculty of Civil Enginering had already yesterday been to Sisak and Petrinja and the surrounding area.
Asked whether amendments to the reconstruction law would incorporate Sisak and Petrinja, Plenkovic said that a legal framework would be found for that.
He also recalled that €683 million for 2021 and 2022 would be earmarked for public needs while the reconstruction fund headed by Damir Vandjelic would deal with private properties which has been resolved with the Reconstruction Act.
“We will find a similar model. Unfortunately, we have a lot of experience in that regard,” he added.
Zagreb Reconstruction: Majority of fund for education infrastructure
Plenkovic recalled that Croatia had received €683 million from the EU solidarity fund for reconstruction in Zagreb and its environs following the March earthquake.
The major part of those funds relates to education so €285 million will be used for education infrastructure.
An amount of €140 million has been allocated for the health sector and health institutions.
An additional €109 million will be earmarked for transport infrastructure and €116 million for cultural heritage which includes many institutions, ministries, the parliament, government, theatres and so on.
Asked how much the €683 million will help, Plenkovic recalled that that amount is a lot however because the damage is much higher, institutions themselves will have to participate with their own finances.
Horvat: 80 applications for damages received
Construction Minister Darko Horvat reported that the ministry had received about 80 applications for damages following the Zagreb earthquake.
All the necessary information and application forms are on the ministry’s web site, he added.