ZAGREB, March 15, 2018 – The government will allocate budgetary funds to provide housing for homeowners whose houses were destroyed or damaged in a landslide in Hrvatska Kostajnica, some 70 km southeast of Zagreb, and in other areas in which residents suffered great material damage caused by landslides.
The government will also pay for the debris removal, according to a decision adopted at a session on Thursday.
Prime Minister Andrej Plenković said the government would coordinate all efforts with the local authorities.
About a dozen houses have been damaged, of which several severely, by the said landslide in Hrvatska Kostajnica, and no casualties were reported. The landslide was caused by heavy snowmelt.
The Social Welfare Ministry has already sent financial assistance to the families who lost their homes, the PM said adding that the Central Office for Housing and Reconstruction and the Construction Ministry would be involved in the process.
Plenković also commented on problems in other flood-hit areas in Karlovac and Sisak-Moslavina counties, which he and his ministers visited earlier this week.
The PM said that measures that were put into effect following heavy snowmelt in these areas yielded good results and local homes were protected from the worst.
He thanked local authorities, the civil protection service, military, police, firemen and the Croatian Mountain Rescue Service for their efforts to help prevent flooding.