The Dubrovnik Republic was known for its innovation and forward-thinking mentality.
Legend has it that the citizens of Dubrovnik erected the column in front of the St. Blaise church in order to praise Orlando and his fleet who saved the City of Dubrovnik from a 15-month-long Saracen siege. The story, however, does not provide us with any historical evidence. The column, otherwise the work of the local sculptor Antun Dubrovčanin and the master sculptor Bonino di Milano from 1418, is one of many which fall under the variety of “Roland knight” columns in Europe that were erected as a symbol of belonging to the Hanseatic League (a commercial and defensive confederation of merchant guilds and their market towns).
It is an interesting fact that the forearm of the Orlando knight-column, which is situated in front of the main trading center and business meeting place known as Sponza Palace, served as a standard measure of the Ragusan cubit, lakat. The top of the Orlando column platform was suited for public proclamations, while the column also provided a glag-pole for the flag that was raised to celebrate a certain festivity such as the opening and closing ceremony of the famous Dubrovnik Summer Festival.