Considered as one of the most impressive series of defensive stone walls in the world, the main landmark of Dubrovnik is a complex system consisting of forts, bastions, casemates, towers and detached forts. Mostly intact and interrupted city walls course of approximately 1940 meters is constructed in the period between the 12th and 17th century, with the oldest systems of fortifications being built in wood. The Great Earthquake in 1667 did not do much damage to the fortifications that were known as the largest and most complete in Europe. Encompassing the Old Town and creating an irregularly shaped polygon, the walls are reinforced by three circular and 14 quadrangular towers, five bastions, two angular fortifications and the St. John’s Fortress. The main walls on the landside are between 4 and 6 metres thick and protected with an additional range of slanted supporting walls, while the walls on the seaside range from 1.5 metres to 3 metres in thickness. The height of the wall reach 25 meters in some places.
In the northern part of the walls there is a circular tower Fort Minceta, in the eastern part of the city pport is the Revelin Fortress and large Fort of St. John is located on the southeast side of the city. The western side of the city is protected by the freestanding Fort of St. Lawrence known as Lovrijenac in Croatian.
Poljana Paska Miličevića, 20000 Dubrovnik
Phone: +385 20 638 800
City Walls Working Hours:
1 January – 28 February – 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
1 March – 31 March – 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
1 April – 31 May – 9 a.m. – 6.30 p.m.
1 June – 31 July – 8 a.m. – 7.30 p.m.
1 August – 15 September – 8 a.m. – 7.00 p.m.
15 September – 31 October – 9 a.m. – 6.00 p.m.
1 November – 31 December – 9 a.m. – 3.00 p.m.