A look at the construction of Hotel Marjan in 1963, courtesy of the Facebook group Split kroz povijest.
And this is how it all began…
The city planning parameters for the entire West Coast in Split were set up through an urban and architectural competition in back 1957.
Hotel “Marjan” was built in 1963 as the first first-class hotel in Split with a capacity of 220 rooms. In 1966, there were additions to the main building from the western side to supplement the indoor pool and other public use facilities.
In 1979, the hotel was renovated and a new eastern wing was built for the needs of the Mediterranean Games. This increased the accommodation capacity to an additional 110 hotel rooms, with a large congress hall and an extension to the hospitality and commercial facilities.
The last reconstruction in 1989 involved only the redesign of the interior of the space.
Here’s a look at the construction of the hotel back in 1963, courtesy of Emil Strniša.
Last photo submitted by Petar Martinović