Mljet has been given the responsibility of caring for Dubrovnik-Neretva County’s very first firefighting boat, which has been procured thanks to EU funds.
As Morski writes on the 2nd of March, 2019, Dubrovnik-Neretva County prefect Nikola Dobroslavić handed over the first firefighting vessel in Dubrovnik-Neretva County in Dubrovnik’s port on Friday. The vessel is named Sveti Florijan, named after the patron saint of Linz.
The vessel was handed over by the prefect to the mayor of Mljet, Đivo Marketa, who immediately presented and subsequently handed it over to commander of Mljet’s fire brigade, to Mario Dabelić.
Prefect Nikola Dobroslavić stressed that this is an excellent example of good use of the money made available to Croatia from European Union funds.
”The ship is largely financed by EU funds through a project conducted by Dubrovnik-Neretva County. This is the first firefighting boat in our county, and JVP Mljet (Mljet fire brigade) will be responsible for it, but of course it will be available to the whole of this southern area. Another firefighting vessel is coming to the City of Dubrovnik soon and this is a significant addition to the safety and the possibility of interventions being made at sea. This ship will be used for firefighting on boats, as well as in some other emergency situations,” stated Dobroslavić, among other things.
Sveti Florijan is the first firefighter in Dubrovnik-Neretva County, otherwise Croatia’s southernmost county, area acquired by the southern Dalmatian county as part of the scope of the European project AdriaMORE, which is otherwise one of the projects currently being implemented by the Interreg Croatia-Italy cross-border program.
The project activities of Dubrovnik-Neretva County are worth around 350,000 kuna, of which 85 percent are being co-financed with the very welcome funds of the European Regional Development Fund, and the remaining 15 percent are financed by the county’s own funds.
A shipbuilding contract, worth about 950,000 kuna, was signed last September with Damor d.o.o., and, as previously mentioned, the new firefighting vessel will be taken care of by Mljet’s fire brigade and by Mljet Municipality.
Dubrovnik-Neretva County organised the ceremony as part of the activities on this year’s International Civil Protection Day, which was marked on March the 1st.