19 Injured in Tuheljske Toplice Spa Centre Sodium Hypochlorite Accident

Total Croatia News

Updated on:

Some quantities of sodium hypochlorite were left in the wrong container by the supplier, and as soon as the chemical reaction started to occur, supplying of this compound ceased, the spa centre’s director Vasja Čretnik said.

About 15 users were in the sauna facilities at the time of the start of the chemical reaction, and they were immediately evacuated as they were exposed to the chemical reaction.

Later, the visitors at the swimming pool were evacuated for precaution, although the consequences of the chemical reaction did not reach that part of the spa centre.

On late Friday evening, the spa’s director, accompanied by reporters, toured the facilities concerned to reassure them that everything was restored back to normal thanks to the swift response of the relevant services.

“We managed to prevent serious injuries, and 11 people were ambulanced to hospitals. Only one injured person is in the intensive care unit but is not in a serious condition, and another five injured people are also still in hospitals, while the remaining five have already been discharged,” said Čretnik.

He said that nothing wrong had happened with the water in the swimming pool, and the chemical reaction had occurred in the containers for chemicals.

He also explained that other guests in the hotel within the Terme Tuhelj premises were served their dinner according to plan in the evening.

The swimming pool at this spa in northwestern Croatia was evacuated at 1810 hrs Friday.

Krapina-Zagorje County Prefect Željko Kolar said after the accident that a total of 19 patients were provided with medical aid, and most of them had respiratory problems.

According to Kolar, 11 patients were ambulanced to the hospital in Zabok, another two to hospitals in Zagreb, and six more visitors arrived at the hospital in Zabok on their own.

The head of the Zabok hospital, Tihomir Vančina, said that none of those patients had been in a life-threatening condition. The “Sveti Duh” hospital in Zagreb confirmed the admission of the two patients from Tuheljske Toplice spa.


Subscribe to our newsletter

the fields marked with * are required
Email: *
First name:
Last name:
Gender: Male Female
Please don't insert text in the box below!

Leave a Comment