Milan Bandić Reveals New Location of National Stadium

Lauren Simmonds

Games will be played on it in 2021.

As Poslovni Dnevnik writes on the 4th of August, 2018, Zagreb’s mayor aimed to reassure by stating that the stadium will not be handed over to private investors.

”I don’t always say everything, I keep some things to myself,” Mayor Milan Bandic said, concluding that he sometimes likes to remain mysterious. The new statium will have the capacity to accommodate 40,000 people, and will be moved from Kajzerica to close to the never completed Children’s Hospital in Blato, Vecernji list writes.

Architecture expert Hrvoje Njirić claimed three weeks ago that the new stadium could only be built next to the Zagreb Fair (Velesajam), but it seems that the stadium was presented as such because the mayor does not like to immediately come forward with all the information at once.

”The location of the stadium will be south of the Sava river, as I’ve said,” Bandic stated today, adding that Blato is a good choice of location because people will not need to enter the city itself in order to go to it. He also revealed that games will be ready to be played there in 2021, and that the upcoming stadium will not be handed over to private investors.

Around a month ago, Vecernji list spoke to architect Hrvoje Njirić, who then clarified that the money for the national football stadium should be provided by City of Zagreb, the state, HNS, and interested private investors.

The City of Zagreb will provide 70 percent of the total amount, and the other 30 percent should come from the state and from HNS. The details still aren’t clear, as the amount of 120 million euros was initially spoken at the presentation of the stadium, and Njirić emphasised that the real cost of such a project could actually end up being three times that amount.

The investment of hundreds of millions of kuna and the construction itself could possibly be blocked by the General Urban Plan (GUP), but the self-proclaimed mysterious Bandić claims to have a solution for that too, as changes to GUP are due in November, as was announced today, but even in such a case, it will still need the support of the City Assembly.


Subscribe to our newsletter

the fields marked with * are required
Email: *
First name:
Last name:
Gender: Male Female
Please don't insert text in the box below!

Leave a Comment