Speaking to the press ahead of an inner cabinet meeting, Banožić said that in accordance with the Drug Abuse Prevention Act, the military police were implementing emergency control measures.
He confirmed that along with the four soldiers who had tested positive for drugs in early July, another three soldiers tested positive for illegal substances last Friday while one more soldier tried to avoid testing.
A total of 30 soldiers in barracks in Split, Ploče, Udbina, Delnice, Vinkovci and Velika Gorica have been tested so far and drug testing will continue.
The minister expects everyone in the Armed Forces to make joint efforts to prevent drug abuse, announcing a set of measures to deal with this problem.
Banožić said the military police were still investigating recent suicide cases in the Armed Forces and that the public would be notified of the results of the investigation in due course.
The minister also announced increased counselling for members of the Armed Forces.
For more about politics in Croatia, follow TCN’s dedicated page.