ZAGREB, July 27, 2020 – Despite lower prices, tourist accommodation for families in Croatia is seeing a steep decline in bookings and most providers of such accommodation are facing financial losses of up to HRK 50,000, a survey on the coronacrisis impact on the business operations of family accommodation providers shows.
The survey, conducted by the Croatian Chamber of Commerce (HGK) on a sample of 2,100 people, revealed that as many as 95 percent of respondents reported a decline in the number of bookings compared with last year, despite the fact that three-quarters of them had cut prices, mostly by up to 30 percent.
Nearly a third of those interviewed, or 31 percent, recorded a drop in bookings of more than 80 percent, while 90 percent also reported cancellations of bookings. The share of cancelled bookings for July and August was mostly up to 60 percent.
“The financial damage suffered by most of the accommodation providers, 77 percent, reached up to HRK 50,000 in the first six months of the year, while the estimate for the next three months climbs to HRK 100,000,” the HGK said on Monday, noting that only six percent of the respondents said they did not have any significant financial losses.
A third of those interviewed were pensioners, with 75 percent of them saying that their livelihood would be threatened without this income.