In the period from January to August 2016, 518 cruises were realized in the Republic of Croatia, states the Central Bureau of Statistics. On these cruises, the 706,737 passengers who were in Croatia stayed for 1.171 days – or an average of two days, reports HRTurizam.
Most foreign cruise ships were recorded entering the territorial waters of Croatia in Dubrovnik-Neretva (63.5%) and Split-Dalmatia County (21.0%), totaling to 84.5%. The remaining 15.5% of foreign cruise ships were recorded first entering the territorial waters of Croatia in five other counties: Zadar (6.2%), Istria (5.6%), Šibenik-Knin (2.3%), Primorje-Gorski Kotar (1.2%) and Lika-Senj (0.2%).
Compared to the same period in 2015, the number of cruises increased by 4.6% and the number of passengers who thus entered in the Republic of Croatia increased by 2.5%. The total number of sojourns in the same period increased by 14.2%.
Airports in Croatia also recorded a large increase in passengers this year. The total number of passengers on commercial operations at airports in August 2016 amounted to 1.4 million, as compared to August 2015, in which the number of passengers was 1.3 million – an increase of 12.4%.
In August 2016, the increase in passenger traffic compared to August 2015 recorded in all airports across Croatia are as follows: Brač Airport (38.8%), Pula Airport (28.6%), Split Airport(12, 9%), Dubrovnik Airport (12.9%), Osijek Airport (12.9%), Rijeka Airport (by 9.7%), Zagreb Airport (8.1%) and Zadar Airport (6.2%).
The total number of takeoffs and landings for aircraft at airports in August 2016 amounted to 16,890, as compared to August 2015, in which the number of landings and take-offs amounted to 15,111 – making that an increase of 11.8%. The total traffic of freight in August 2016 amounted to 629 tons, compared with a turnover of 621 tons in August 2015, making an increase of 1.3%.