Cruise Tourism Continues to Dominate, Dubrovnik Still Top Croatian Target

Lauren Simmonds

The cruise ships just keep on coming, and in spite of its issues with this type of tourism, Dubrovnik remains the most popular of all Croatian destinations.

As Morski writes on the 9th of August, 2018, during the period from January to June this year, the number of trips made by foreign cruise ships to the Republic of Croatia increased by a considerable 4.2 percent, and the total number of days spent by such vessels increased by 0.6 percent in comparison with the same period of 2017 according to data taken from the Central Bureau of Statistics, writes tportal.

During the aforementioned period in 2018, 54 foreign cruise ships sailed into various Croatian seaports along the coast, with the overall number of passengers on these ships increasing by 12.6 percent when compared to the same period back in 2017.

There have been a massive 357,000 passengers on board these ships, who spent 522 days in Croatia in total. The largest number of trips was made by ships sailing under the flags of the Bahamas and Malta (55 trips respectively), while the largest number of passengers arrived on ships sailing under the flags of Panama (103,000 passengers) and of nearby Italy (91,000 passengers).

Out of a total of 246 cruises, most trips were, rather unsurprisingly made in the wildly popular Dubrovnik-Neretva County (56.5 percent) and Split-Dalmatia County (23.6 percent), which makes up a total of 80.1 percent of the ships which have arrived in Croatian waters so far this year. The other 19.9 percent ​​of this year’s cruise ship trips were realised in the following counties: Istria County and Zadar County (6.5 percent respectively), Šibenik-Knin County (4.9 percent) and Primorje-Gorski Kotar County (2.0 percent).

Dubrovnik (Port of Gruž) (189 visits), followed by Split (100 visits) and the island of Korčula (48 visits) hold the record for the most visited destinations by foreign cruise ships so far in 2018.


Click here for the original article by tportal


Subscribe to our newsletter

the fields marked with * are required
Email: *
First name:
Last name:
Gender: Male Female
Please don't insert text in the box below!

Leave a Comment