The Manastir Isle at Prološko Blato near Imotski

Total Croatia News

An interesting article about the “Manastir” islet from the Imotski Svitnjak (written by Ivan Alduk, photos by Luka Kolovrat and Ante Fedor Kukavica, translated by Ivana Župan)
At the islet of “Manastir”, under the northern cliffs of the lakes of Prološko Blato, the remains of the Franciscan monastery lies. At the time of the Turkish threat, probably in late 15th century, the Franciscans abandoned the monastery at the source of the river Vrljika and build a new monastery on the island “Manastir”. Relying on the Turkish firmans, dr. fra Karlo Jurišić said, that the building of the monastery began between 1600 and 1605. The impetus for building of monastery and relocation to Prološko Mud gave perhaps the vicar of the Bosnian Franciscan Vicary st. fra Jakov Markijski, in the middle of the 15th century.


The Franciscans have repeatedly left and returned to the monastery to finally leave it in 1715, when it was destroyed. So, this year marks exactly 300 year since fra Stipan Vrljić temporarily moved to Omiš, where the monastery was built in Skalice. After liberation from the Turks in 1715, the Franciscans organized a parish in Fort Topan first and soon afterwards they establish a new monastery in Imotski, which owns the old monastery on the island “Manastir” to this day.


The remains of the monastery are located on the western slope of the island where you can see the ruins of several rooms with the chapel connected to the building of an elongated rectangular ground plan. In addition to the chapel, there is a gateway to the shore mud/lake and stone benches where preserved in that passage. The other side of the aisle closes a water cistern. Judging by the preserved stone walls and cleared lands, the islet was pretty organized during the stay of the small Franciscan community.


At the top of the island, an inscription carved on a cliff was preserved: “This AD. 1609 F.M.R. – LET IT BE KNOWN”, that is most likely related to the vicar fra Mijo Runović, who is credited for construction of the monastery. The remains of the Franciscan monastery on the islet of “Manastir” in Prološko Mud are an extremely valuable part of the Imotski culture heritage. Therefore, in organization of the Franciscan monastery in Imotski and the local Conservation Department and local associations, the cleaning of the islet and the remains of the monastery, which are in a very poor condition has begun. This year, the Ministry of Culture allocated modest financial resources for the conservation of the walls to rescue this monument from oblivion and prolong its life for future generations.


Subscribe to our newsletter

the fields marked with * are required
Email: *
First name:
Last name:
Gender: Male Female
Please don't insert text in the box below!

Leave a Comment