Next season on Žnjan could look totally different.
Last week, it was announced that there would be the final removal of thirty illegal clubs and cafes at Split’s Žnjan beach. If the caterers do not remove the buildings themselves, the demolition will begin on October 24, 2017, and by November 15, 2017, the entire area should be emptied.
This decision was made at a working group meeting with representatives of the Ministry of Construction, Split-Dalmatia County and the City of Split, reports Dalmacija Danas on October 11, 2017.
Žnjan caterers have said before that the facilities and surrounding content could be disposed of within 24 hours, and it seems that they intend to do just that.
Several Žnjan cafes sent messages to their loyal Facebook followers about the current situation on October 10, 2017.
We are here to inform you that from Monday, our bars will no longer work. Under pressure from Mr. Opara, our jobs and workplaces will be left most likely in the hands of Turkish investors. A plan for Žnjan is still unknown. All infrastructure (sewage and electricity) will be destroyed along with our sites. After that, Žnjan will be left with the wasteland that we are on the way to Duilovo. Thank you for the 4,000 signatures that did not have any weight with Mr. Opara, thank you to our landlords who tried to point out the damage our demolition would mean to them, but thank you most to our dear guests who made Žnjan the most visited beach in Croatia this summer and winter,” said Bongo Bongo Žnjan and Beach Bar “Corto Maltese”.
Other facilities announced a closing party on October 17th.
“Before the demolition, we want to have fun with you again. See you in a new location and keep following us. This is not goodbye, but see you later,” said Plan B Pub.
We will have more information on which cafe bars will be hosting closing parties over the next week.
Translated from Dalmacija Danas