There are few people more qualified to comment on the state of the luxury property market in Croatia than Marko Pažanin, CEO of Croatia Sotheby’s International Realty. TCN caught up with him on June 11, 2018, to get his take on the market.
1. Summer is coming, and many visitors will fall in love and dream of owning a property on the coast or one of Croatia’s 1000+ islands. How would you assess the state of the market at the moment?
– The market is ready for the season and the increased number of foreign citizens arriving and falling in love with Croatia. Our country is already worldwide popular as the “second home” destination so there is an increased number of inquiries in the past two months.
2. The prettiest properties do not always make the best buys. Give us some of your thoughts on the best types of investment properties in Croatia today?
– The best type property or an investment project is surely the one on the right location – meaning the first row to the sea. One can have a top luxury villa with high-end equipment, furniture, and appliances, but if it is in a bad location, it will be very hard to sell it. Croatia is a country that profiles as a Mediterranean destination. That means that people come here in search of sea and sun.
3. Falling in love with a property on holiday often means that the heart rules the head. What key factors should buyers consider when looking for that dream Croatian property?
– Key factors I would recommend to consider would be location, construction quality, general luxury feeling that a property provides and the price – realistic to the market opportunities.
4. Croatia Sotheby’s International Realty deals with the luxury end of the market. What trends are you seeing in the luxury sector, and what kind of property offers the best value?
– World trends in the luxury real estate sector would be the increased interest for the properties offering a unique feeling and a unique experience, the interest in city center villas has been also increasing along with designer properties and high-end equipped properties.
5. Where do you see the Croatian property market in five years compared to today?
– I see continuous growth in terms of luxury properties offered, followed by the growth of prices. I really hope that in five years the state and the banks will be more flexible with the legal and financing solutions, especially for the foreign citizens
6. And finally, give us three properties from your eye-watering portfolio to fall in love with this summer.
– Villa Domes
Villa Domes is situated in the luxurious Kempinski Golf & Spa resort in Savudrija, the historical region in the very west end point of the Republic of Croatia.
Designed and planned by the owner himself, this villa offers true luxury and pleasure throughout the year and with its position, timeless view on the sea and Savudrija bay with many different sports activities available in the resort itself.
Villa Domes, organized on three levels, with its private swimming pool, equipped with special lights and heating, has private exit towards the private and secluded beach. Oriented towards the sea, Villa Domes offers a timeless view on Savudrija bay and year-round offer of refined Istrian cuisine and Mediterranean pleasures.
Villa Domes is equipped with interior lift for easier communication between the levels, alarm and video control, Band and Olufsen electronics, gym area, private wine cellar, playroom, jacuzzi bath, three spacious bedrooms with its personal bathrooms, grand entry and living area, a lot of storage rooms, two garages and outdoor parking spaces, of which all rooms have calming view on the sea.
Only half an hour away from international airport Trieste, and airports Pula and Rijeka, this villa is an opportunity for inspiring stay in Istria within the private resort with golf courses, sports terrains for tennis, football and basketball, children playgrounds, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, wellness centre and numerous exclusive restaurants for sophisticated and exclusive enjoyment in everything Istria has to offer for discreet and exquisite all year round stay.
– Villa Albina
This villa, in the centre of the city of Split, fully combines the best of two worlds – an indigenous Mediterranean lifestyle and pure modernism. Set among the characteristic red-roofed houses, this contemporary villa, with a swimming pool and completely covered in white stone, is a unique concept within its environment. The 3-level semi-detached property has 215 square meters of living space.
It is fully equipped with central heating and air conditioning, modern appliances and furniture, and works of art by recognized artists. The modern kitchen and living room area of more than 40 square meters is designed with an open concept that comfortably seats eight or more people. Space has a glass wall connected to the outdoor terrace with a swimming pool and 450 square meters garden, providing a common area for entertainment inside and outside of the villa. The ground floor also has a spacious bathroom and a study room.
An elegant wooden staircase with a glass handrail leads up to the 50 square meters first floor, which has two bedrooms and a shared bathroom. One bedroom has a semi-enclosed balcony with a beautiful southern view of the azure sea and the Dalmatian islands.
The 60 square meters second floor is comprised of two rooms, one is a master bedroom with a spacious 17 square meters terrace with the fantastic view that provides an inspiring start to the day. The large bathroom with a central bathtub and exquisitely organized wardrobe complement the concept of comfort.
The villa also includes a two-car garage in the basement.
– Villa Authentic
This unique stone villa is situated on the picturesque island of Brač, in one of the authentic Dalmatian settlements called Splitska. Ideal for all those who want their oasis of peace in an isolated and authentic location, this 350 square meters one-story house has everything one needs.
The property itself is 2200 square meters large, and in addition to the living space, there is a swimming pool, parking space, and Mediterranean plants garden. Clean air with sea aromas, here has almost a healing effect – say the Islanders.
The building itself is built in stone and the interior continues to highlight the stone elements combining them with wood and glass walls.
On the ground floor, a spacious kitchen with a dining room for 10 persons connects with a living room. The living area extends to the spacious terrace, ideal for enjoying the sun on the loungers or discovering a refreshing dip in the pool. The private terrace on the side is separated to enjoy a hot tub where four people can relax.
On the main terrace, there is also an outdoor grill with alongside located dining area in the fresh air.
On the first floor there are four bedrooms and five bathrooms with showers, also modernly equipped and fitted with natural local materials. The terrace extending along the southern wall of the house offers a beautiful view over the sea.