The latest on the migrant crisis, as it appears that one of the Paris terrorists passed through Croatia, posing as a refugee.
Greek Deputy Civil Protection Minister Nikos Toskas announced yesterday that the owner of a Syrian passport which was found at the site of the terrorist attack in Paris entered the EU through the Greek island of Leros in October. “In the case of Syrian passport which was found at the site of the terrorist attack, we announce that the holder of the passport passed through Leros on 3 October, where he was identified on the basis of the rules of the EU”, Toskas said in a statement, reports Vecernji List on November 15, 2015.
He added that he did not know whether the passport had been checked by other countries through which its owner probably passed. “We will continue the painstaking and persistent effort to ensure the safety of our country and Europe under difficult circumstances, insisting on the complete identification of those who are coming here”, Toskas said.
Several Croatian sources have confirmed that the owner of the Syrian passport was registered five days later, on 8 October, in Opatovac temporary refugee camp in Croatia. He was allowed to pass because there was no “security alarm” for him, since Interpol has not marked him as suspicious. Greek police has said that the owner of the passport was a young man who arrived on Leros with a group of 69 refugees and has been identified there by fingerprints.
Asked if the owner of the Syrian passport which was found at the site of the attack in Paris had passed through Croatia, Croatian Interior Minister Ranko Ostojić said: “At this time and immediately after the attack, our security system is sharing all useful information with our colleagues from France, as well as with Interpol and Europol, and numerous security agencies.” Ostojić added that “if the person had been registered in the Interpol databases, then Greece would not allow him to pass through”.
Regardless of the terrorist attacks in Paris, the situation at the migrant reception centre in Slavonski Brod is normal. Most migrants carry smart phones and tablets and are well informed about the latest developments. There were no special incidents and everything is the same as in previous days. The police announced that they are carrying out stricter border controls and have enhanced security for protected buildings such as embassies.
“We continuously control and secure the migrant camp. There is a security check of all the people who come to the camp, from metal detectors to control of their documents, taking fingerprints and similar activities. In this regard, nothing has changed”, Helena Biočić from Ministry of Interior said.
From midnight to 9 am on Sunday, 3,669 migrants and refugees entered Croatia. In the winter reception centre in Slavonski Brod, there are currently 2,660 migrants. Since the beginning of the migrant crisis, 392,191 migrants and refugees have entered Croatia.