The construction of St. Mary’s Church in Lepoglava in the northern Zagorje region began in 1400, consecrated in 1415. The church and convent were damaged in the Turkish onslaught in 1481. It was renovated and expanded several times in the second half of the 17th century.
The decoration is in baroque and gothic styles, with numerous baroque furniture, wood carvings, baroque altars and murals by Ivan Ranger. The church also holds a very valuable organ, restored in 1737.
It was badly damaged in the earthquake of 1880, in danger of fire in 1943 during a partisan prisoner rescue from the east wing of the convent, then a jail. In 1952 Communist authorities shut it down and used it as a warehouse, with first restoration works begun in the 1970s. It was reopened for religious services in 1990.