The church of St. Blaise, known as Crkva svetog Vlaha in Croatian, is a Baroque church dedicated to the patron of Dubrovnik. Legend has it that St. Blasius warned people in Dubrovnik, particularly Stojko the priest, to prepare the city defence against the surprise attack planned by Venetians. Since then, St. Blaise has been revered as the patron of Dubrovnik and every February the Festivity of Saint Blaise is celebrated over the course of several days. A banner embroidered with an image of the patron is raised and accompanied by the release of white doves and ringing of church bells. The church was built in 1715 following the plan of a single square nave with a ground plan in the form of Greek cross by the Venetian architect and sculptor Marino Gropelli. On top of the façade there is a free standing statue of Saint Blaise accompanied with personifications of Faith and Hope.