The non-credible apparitions of the “Medjugorje phenomenon” include those in the first seven or ten days of 1981, say the Mostar-Duvno Diocese.
Bishop of Mostar-Duvno Ratko Perić told the Apostolic Visitor to Medjugorje, Polish Archbishop Henryk Hoser, that he believes that the apparitions of the Virgin Mary in Medjugorje were “not credible,” the diocese said on Monday, reports Večernji List on July 24, 2018.
“The local bishop… on the basis of numerous investigations, does not consider as credible any ‘apparition,’ any message, any secret,” said the statement. “These non-credible apparitions of the ‘Medjugorje phenomenon’ include those in the first seven or ten days of 1981,” added the Mostar-Duvno Diocese.
Hoser said earlier that he was appointed solely do coordinate pastoral activities in Medjugorje and that his task was to strengthen the unity of the Church. The retired archbishop of Warszawa-Prague officially took the office on Sunday, after being appointed by Pope Francis.
During a mass held in the popular Marian shrine, he noted that pilgrims were coming to Medjugorje “to meet God, Jesus Christ and his mother who is called the Queen of Peace in Medjugorje.” He told the media earlier that the Holy See might proclaim as credible the initial apparitions of Virgin Mary during the first seven days of 1981.
In the centre of the Medjugorje phenomenon are the alleged apparitions of Virgin Mary to six persons. The Vatican has not yet taken an official position on their credibility. According to the claims of the then six children, the Virgin Mary appeared for the first time on June 24, 1981, in Podbrdo near Medjugorje. Apparitions have allegedly continued since then.
In 2011, the Holy See appointed a special commission to investigate the credibility of the apparitions in Medjugorje. The report of the commission was sent to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, and then to Pope Francis who should issue the final decision.
Translated from Večernji List.