Are You a UK National Living in Croatia? Brexit Advice from British Embassy

Total Croatia News

December 2, 2020 – As the Transition Period is coming to an end, official advice from the British Embassy in Zagreb for UK nationals resident in Croatia. 

The Transition Period ends on 31 December. If you are a UK National resident in Croatia by 31 December, you will be covered by the Withdrawal Agreement and your rights will be protected for as long as you remain resident in Croatia. 

There are, however, some actions you should take now to keep all your rights and access to services in four key areas: residency, healthcare, travel and driving. This guide, presented in partnership with the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office, tells you what you need to do.

Register your residency at your local police station

If you are a UK National and are legally living in Croatia before 31 December 2020, the message is simple: no need to say ‘zbogom’ or farewell. Your right to live in Croatia will be protected. 

It is a legal requirement to register your stay in Croatia if you are staying in the country for longer than 90 days. If you haven’t registered yet please look at the guidance on how to do so from the Croatian government here.

There may be further actions around residency for UK nationals to take in due course, so please continue to check the UK Government’s Living in Croatia guide


Check your access to healthcare and register if you are eligible

S1 holders who have registered with the Croatian Health Insurance Fund (HZZO) by 31 December, and have already obtained a Croatian document from the HZZO proving this, are protected under the Withdrawal Agreement.

If you are registered for healthcare via your employer, as a self-employed person, or via voluntary contributions, and you are registered as resident in Croatia by 31 December, your access to healthcare will remain unchanged for as long as you remain living in Croatia.

Check our Living in Guide on for updated information on healthcare including actions you may need to take in the coming weeks. 

If you’re a UK student in Croatia or have a registered S1 you may be eligible for a new UK-issued EHIC. This EHIC will remain valid from 1 January 2021. Apply now for a new UK EHIC.

Exchange your UK driving licence for a local one

We are working to ensure that UK driving licences will continue to be recognised in Croatia for foreign visitors but if you are formally resident you should exchange your UK licence for a Croatian one. We recommend doing this before the end of the year.

You apply at your nearest police station. This service is available regardless of whether your residence in Croatia is temporary or permanent. For more information on driving in Croatia, visit our Living in Guide.

Checking you’re ready for trouble-free travel 

Whether a veteran expat or a new arrival as someone who lives abroad you may notice some changes and new rules on travel within Europe from 1 January 2021. It’s therefore worth doing some homework now to save any potential troubles later.

From 1 January 2021, you must have at least 6 months left on an adult or child passport to travel to most countries in Europe (this does not include Ireland). This requirement does not apply if you are entering or transiting to Croatia (returning to Croatia from abroad and are a legal resident) and you are in scope of the Withdrawal Agreement. Be aware that any extra months you had added to your passport’s validity when renewing it last time won’t count towards this. Check your passport validity now and renew it if you need to. Find out more here.

Staying up-to-date 

There may be more actions to take later this year so stay updated by checking the Living in Croatia page on ( You can also sign up to email alerts to this guide and follow the British Embassy Zagreb on Facebook and Twitter



Subscribe to our newsletter

the fields marked with * are required
Email: *
First name:
Last name:
Gender: Male Female
Please don't insert text in the box below!

Leave a Comment