ZAGREB, June 28, 2018 – Interior Minister Davor Božinović rejected on Thursday any possibility of a new migrant route across Croatia’s coast, and ahead of the tourist season he sent a message about Croatia being a secure tourist destination, assuring that there shouldn’t be any long traffic delays at border crossings.
“There is no danger of a new migrant corridor opening across our coastline. Thanks to our technical equipment and ships, we see every vessel that enters Croatian territorial waters,” Božinović told the press during a conference on to security of towns, which was held in Zagreb.
He underscored that Croatia is recognised as a safe tourist destination and this year there has been a 10% increase in tourist arrivals compared to last year’s record season.
He reassured that there would be no long traffic delays at the country’s border crossings, recalling that Croatia, Slovenia and Hungary had agreed to targeted border checks from 15 March to 31 October. “I am certain that when systematic checks start creating traffic delays, the border police will opt for targeted checks,” Božinović said.
Asked by the press about Islamic State members in the new wave of migrants on refugee routes arriving in Bosnia and Herzegovina from Greece, the minister responded: “We have intensified communication with the relevant authorities in Bosnia and Herzegovina and are exchanging all the necessary information.”
He recalled that the new headquarters to implement security measures during the tourist season was recently opened in Zadar which should facilitate police work regarding foreign tourists. “Big events and festivals will be especially monitored from security aspects. We are prepared to regroup forces within 24 hours and deploy them if and where necessary,” he said.
Police Chief Nikola Milina said that an additional 235 police officers would be deployed to the coast during the tourist season and additional 108 police officers would patrol the Ultra Festival.